Terms and definitions are fundamental parts of documents; therefore, it is necessary to standardize their use.
Toward that end, CLSI:
- Identifies harmonization issues as early as possible in the consensus process.
- Fully implements the protocol for use of terms and definitions that recognize the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) terms as the preferred terms and identifies terms from other sources and applies them as appropriate.
- Maintains an up-to-date database of nomenclature and definitions used in CLSI, ISO, and European Committee for Standardization standards, and ensures access to the database by committee participants.
- Is proactive in educating volunteers, committees, and constituents on the importance of harmonization.
- Staff and volunteers are responsible for the implementation of the harmonization policy.